SFS BHUTAN: FORESTS IN THE LAND OF THE THUNDER DRAGON (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions until April 2020
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Explore the rich culture, biodiversity, and dramatic mountain views of the Bhutanese Himalayas and learn how forests - which cover more than 70 percent of the landscape - are integral to the goals of Gross National Happiness. Spend four weeks surveying forests, visiting ancient shrines, and studying conservation and development in one of the most fascinating countries in the world.
- Trek across forested ridges and remote villages, camping out under the stars and learning about Bhutanese culture and ecosystems firsthand.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Himalayan Environment and Development Studies. The Center is located at one end of the stunning Paro Valley, at the base of a towering ridgeline dotted with Buddhist monasteries. Campus is a small cluster of buildings designed in the traditional Bhutanese architectural style. A pleasant 15-minute walk brings you to the markets, shops, and cultural events of Paro Town.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTSThere is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.