CIEE Summer Community Development And Social Justice: Theory + Practice in Cape Town, South Africa
The summer Community Development and Social Justice program in Cape Town, South Africa is designed for students from all academic disciplines who want to learn about the challenges and realities of post-Apartheid South Africa through innovative courses and an integrated community service study abroad project.
Through this combination of theory and practice, students become participants in, rather than mere observers of, this dynamic environment and gain a comprehensive understanding of the evolving story that is South Africa.
In South Africa you will:
- Acquire a greater understanding of issues around several topics in contemporary South Africa including economics, health, politics, the environment, etc., and how these issues inform the discourse on poverty and development and their relationship to globalization
- Develop and use specific Afrikaans or isiXhosa vocabulary necessary for community engagement activities and courses
- Choose from a host of quality community engagement opportunities
- Explore various points of interest in and around Cape Town and the Western Cape Province
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTS
There is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.