SFS PANAMA: TOURISM AND ISLAND ECOSYSTEMS (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Spend your summer snorkeling and hiking through the beautiful natural environments of Bocas – from coral reefs and mangroves to beaches and rainforests – while studying the impacts of tourism and other human activities on the island’s ecosystems and communities. Interview local residents who depend on both tourism and natural resources, analyze regional and national policies, and learn about current approaches to sustainable development in the archipelago.
- Connect with Indigenous Ngäbe island communities: Learn about the importance of the natural environment to their culture and their efforts to create authentic, sustainable tourism.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Tropical Island Biodiversity Studies, once a beachfront hotel that sits among the slender palms and warm sands of Isla Colón lies the Center. You’ll take your classes over the waves of the Caribbean and among the surrounding rainforests and reefs. The laidback tourist hub of Bocas Town is a short taxi ride away, with access to shops, restaurants, and a vibrant culture that is as unique as the mix of people who live here.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTS
There is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.