CIEE Arts and Sciences Program in Cape Town, South Africa
Near the southwestern most tip of Africa, Cape Town is all about the wonders of nature – and the fallout of a complicated history that make this a society in transition. Experience it all, with strong academics, links to Cape Town peers and communities, historical site visits, and time to explore on your own. It’s an experience that’s sure to stick with you for life.
Study abroad in Cape Town and you will:
- Connect with a South African family with a stay that lasts a semester or just three days.
- Lend time and support to Cape Town people in need – students say it’s a pinnacle part of this experience.
- Live and learn where natural beauty and outdoor fun are part of everyday life.
- Visit local theater, music, and dance productions, museums, rural cooperatives, and cricket and rugby matches
Established in 1998, this program allows students to continue their studies while they explore contemporary South African society. Courses may be taken in all University of Cape Town faculties excluding health sciences and Law faculties. Areas of study include Afrikaans, economics, political studies, and environmental and geographical sciences. Students participate in cultural components, and are strongly encouraged to take part in community service.
University of Cape Town (UCT). Established as South African College in 1829, UCT is internationally recognized as one of Africa’s leading research universities, with beautiful grounds and attractive buildings. Campus includes a range of commercial, medical, recreational, and sporting facilities. UCT courses are taught by faculty from the University of Cape Town. The CIEE Intercultural Communications and Leadership course is taught by the CIEE Director of Experimental Learning and the Student Services Director.
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTS
There is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.