SFS CAMBODIA: ELEPHANTS OF THE CAMBODIAN HIGHLANDS (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Spend your summer in the lush Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary, studying the behavior and ecology of the endangered Asian elephant. Examine human-wildlife conflict and conservation pressures, and discuss elephant welfare and management practices. Visit the vibrant city of Phnom Penh and the ancient temples of Angkor to explore the history and culture of Cambodia.
- Stay at the Elephant Valley Project in the forested Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary to observe Asian elephants from meters away as they forage, bathe, and interact with each other in a protected setting.
The home base for this program is in the heart of the Mondulkiri highlands set on the slopes of the Elephant Valley. Watch the sunset over the forest and fall asleep to the sounds of gibbons and other nocturnal creatures. The valley provides great bird watching – from eagles to hornbills. Spend a portion of the program at the SFS Center in Siem Reap, our most urban location, located near the famed temples of Angkor.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTSThere is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.