CIEE Liberal Arts Program in Santiago, Dominican Republic
Improve your Spanish while gaining insight into the realities of life in the developing world of the Dominican Republic. In Santiago, you’ll immerse yourself in local culture, both on and off campus, through a combination of intensive coursework, homestays, volunteer opportunities, and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. In class you’ll study the language, politics, regional literature, and art. During rural work retreats, you’ll become part of life in the Dominican Republic – and the Dominican Republic will become part of you.
Study abroad in Santiago and you will:
- Interact at multiple levels of Dominican society through homestays, university courses, rural and urban volunteer activities, language partners, and activities with Dominican and Haitian support students
- Consider an optional Community Service course or optional Teaching English as a Second Language course (earn a TESL certificate from PUCMM), both with hands-on practicums
- Contrast the daily realities of the Dominicans and Haitian who share the campus and the city
- Learn outside the classroom on class trips ranging from visits to local Santería altars to the Free Trade Zone; trips to sites of ecological and historical-cultural importance; and weekend excursions to the Samaná Peninsula and mountains of Constanza
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTS
There is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.