CIEE Sustainability and the Environment in Monteverde, Costa Rica
“Newsweek” declared Monteverde one of the world’s top places to remember before it disappears. Get to know why the city’s beautiful and rare cloud forest habitat is so important to the country and the planet on CIEE’s Sustainability and the Environment program. At our Study Center in the heart of the cloud forest, you’ll dig into wildlife conservation, environmental education, alternative agriculture, ecotourism, reforestation, sustainable building, environmental art, or green energy – and maybe help the world in the process.
Through lectures, internship opportunities, and extensive field work, study abroad in Monteverde offers you a theoretical foundation in conservation and sustainability, and brings those principles to life with intensive hands-on experience. Not only will you examine the complexities affronting global biodiversity, you’ll explore the possible solutions for resolving them. And with highly individualized Spanish classes, homestays, and myriad opportunities to interact and engage with local farmers, residents and business people you’ll enjoy a truly transformative experience in a very challenging but rewarding semester abroad.
Study abroad in Costa Rica and you will:
- Participate in specially designed CIEE courses on sustainability and tropical conservation
- Travel to remote and unique locations in Costa Rica and Nicaragua
- Intern with local organizations, businesses, or farms dedicated to sustainable development
- Live with a Costa Rican family, and be immersed in the culture and language
- Explore the sustainability of alternative energy, food systems, agriculture, nature reserves, and tourism in Costa Rica
- Take excursions to protected areas of endangered biological and cultural diversity to learn about their threats and what can save them
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL JHU APPLICANTS
There is a dual application process for this program:
(1) Students must complete the Hopkins application by clicking on the green "Apply Now" button
(2) Students must complete the program application, which you can access on the program website.
Please make sure to abide by both the Hopkins and the program deadlines as they may be different.